In today’s post, we will focus on vital behaviors that impact dental health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two critical habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to preserve a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is required for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do enjoy calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are dangerous to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar results in the production of dangerous cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This accelerates plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can chip teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are harmful to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, communicate with Dr. Hetland about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your youth fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder – seek professional help without delay. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. At Designer Smiles, we serve the Fargo area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about porcelain veneers, teeth whitening, dental implants and general dentistry.