This message from Designer Smiles in Fargo is about tooth enamel and its function in your dental health.
Our teeth work hard and are consistently under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with enamel, the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel erosion is extremely widespread, though largely preventable.
Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Designer Smiles, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt additional erosion if some has already transpired.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body. Once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the National Institute of Health, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion.
- Brushing your teeth too forcefully can damage enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as bad as sugared sodas.
- A condition called dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already enamel erosion, it’s vital to stop it in its tracks. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call Designer Smiles in Fargo, where your dental health is important to us. Services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule an appointment today.
Contact Designer Smiles:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):